ARE THEY FUTURE PROOF?
The world has changed and the way we educate our children should change too.
Leaders, governments, parents, teachers, we all ask the same question: What are the skills our children will need to succeed? In this VUCA world that changes at a fantastical rate, our ability to predict and plan for the future is extremely limited. It has been estimated that two thirds of our children will work in jobs that do not currently exist. Once they finish school, our children will face a radically different job landscape compared to the one when they started their formal instruction.
In this unpredictable and globalized world our only realistic hope relies on learning that is adapted to the needs of this 21st century. In 2016, The World Economic Forum published a list of the most valued skills of the 21st century. One third are traditional hard skills, the 3 R’s (Reading, wRiting and aRithmetics). The rest are, so called, soft skills such as the 4C’s – creativity, critical thinking, communication, collaboration – along with curiosity, grit, agency, leadership, adaptability and resilience.
At U Thrive Europe, we want to equip children and young people with these practical, transversal and transferable skills that will impact their present well-being, academic success, and their future employability. This will empower our children and young people to find innovative solutions to tomorrow’s world’s challenges.
We propose a series of interlinked classes that teach complementary skills. For example, through the Emotional Intelligence “Unlimited in the Here & Now” course, children will acquire skills such as: communication, collaboration, adaptability, grit, agency, leadership. The Improvisational Theater “Say YES to Your Unscripted Story” class course will enhance skills such as creativity, communication, collaboration, curiosity, adaptability. In the Debate “Your Word is Your Power” course, the children will obtain skills related to critical thinking, communication, collaboration, leadership, grit, agency, resilience.
Our instructional methodology is based on 4 pillars:
- Student-centered learning. We are not the ‘sage on the stage’, but the ‘guide on the side’.
- Personalized learning. The topics are relevant for students and they can feel connected with.
- Experiential learning. This hands-on learning or learning-by-doing has the big advantage of being valid for all types of learning styles. The content is assimilated by going through the following four stages:
- Concrete experience with direct participation
- Reflective observation – debriefing, critical analysis of what happened
- Abstract conceptualization – creating meaning from our observations
- Active experimentation – testing the ideas and skills out in the real world
- Safe space to learn. Together we create a learning environment that is free of judgement, duty, guilt and shame, because today we know these elements destroy the trust and the safe base that the students need to be able to explore and learn.
In fact, at U Thrive Europe, we don’t want just to give them an education, we want to make them want to take it. We want our children to assume ownership of their own education. For us, education means development with excellence in a paradigm of trust and empowerment. We want the young people to have the courage to embrace challenges with confidence and resilience, genuinely assuming they already know who they are. They know and manage well their strengths and flaws. Most of all, they know they are lovable and resourceful.
Don’t you want the same for them, to have choices and answers, to trust and create deep connections, to make discoveries and have fun today while being future-proof?